Sunday, May 15, 2016

Day 13-17?

I Day 13 started off with a long walk from Idylwilld to the park of San Jacinto.  This is the second highest mountain I have climbed next to Mt. Fuji.


10,834 feet.  I think Fuji is just a few hundred feet taller.  The big difference between the two was Jacinto didn't have vending machines and crowds at the top.


Just some amazing views. 


I was happy to get rid of twelve once a of weight.

Since it was a struggle getting to the top, Squirrel and I camped at 9,000 feet. 


The next day (14) was a chore.  It meant descending to 1,300ft. 


This was such a mental mind game.  It's one of many I have experienced on the trail.  Imagine being able to see five miles but you know you have to go fourteen miles to get to that point but it's going to take maybe eight hours because it's about 100f outside.  That was my day. 


But hey, I got a nice view of San Jacinto.


I gave cowboy camping another try and it was amazing.  Everytime I woke up, I saw a million stars.  I did it the following two nights.  I was able to finally see the Milky Way Galaxy.  Amazing.  

Day 15 started out rough.  This was another 100 degree day and I had to stop at 11am or so.  But I found the most amazing place to beat the heat.  It was so great, I didn't even take a photo.  

Squirrel found some shade next to a shallow creek.  The shadow from the willow tree covered part of the creek.  I laid down in about three inches of water starring at the leaves move in the wind for about two hours.  I had my sun umbrella ready when the shadow moved to much.  I got a little sun burn but I think it was well worth it.  

I took little to no photos the rest of the day as my battery life for everything was super low.


Day 16 started the torture from Mission Creek to Yucca valley.  This was a detour, an in official one that wasn't endorsed by the PCTA. 

Squirrel and I started early at 4:45am.  We walked with G-String for about seven miles.  Walking up highway 62 was gross.  We walked on the side of the road in sand for about three miles uphill.  Finally we hit a circle K where I could get some nasty hot dogs.  Then began more mental torture, the last nine miles to Yucca Valley.

I could see the nine miles ahead of me.  It was all uphill.  Squirrel, G-String, and I beat the heat but from the Circle K to Yucca Valley, it was all in the sun.  Torture.  That was about three hours, looking at the same spot, dodging traffic, uphill, on pavement.  But I did it.  

We lost G-string at the circle K. I heard through the grapevine he was with two Mexican gals and an American gal so he was probably ok.  

Squirrel and I had lunch at a Mexican place where mostly who're people are.  That was weird, not enough food, and the manager who was Mexican wasn't that friendly which is weird.  

We met up with an Aussie.  We were planning to stay at a hotel but the prices were hiked because of a music festival at Joshua Tree.  No way we were paying that price.  

The Quartet of Four, a group we've kept pace with stayed at a hotel.  But unfortunately the ice cream duo couldn't flip the bill.

Dejected we sat at a chevron contemplating out next move.  We thought, "let's camel up, 8 liters of water, a day and a half of food, and head out.  We'll have to camp illegally but we can do it."  We got everything ready for this next phase but had to wait out the sun. We had hours.  After two hours of sitting, a park ranger pulled up and asked if we were thru hikers.  He told us we could camp eight miles up the road at pioneertown preserve.  There was fresh water and bathrooms.  This dude made out crappy situation turn into a great one.

The two of us poured out half our water and waited until 5pm to set out.  We got there a bit after 8.  The ranger bought fruit, pizza, and beer.  I should mention, the people in Yucca valley inherited PCT hikers but the kindness of everyone blew me away.  Cars were always pulling over asking if we needed a ride or help.  This has been true for most of the trail but in this area, it was over the top.

After another night of cowboy camping, it was onto day 17.


(I'm low on time so I'll finish up quick)

The first ten miles were awesome.  Nice people and Joshua trees everywhere.  The second fifteen or so, terrible.  The PCT is home and being on a road where you can't have your own thoughts or a place to rest are agonizing.  I got tired of moving over for Jeep Rubicons.  Plus, what a lazy and lame way to enjoy the outdoors.  I understand dirt bikes but an SUV seems boring.  

At 5pm we hit the PCT again after two days, home.

Today, we made it to big bear.  We got a hitch from Hiker One.  An old fellow on an oxygen tank.  He's sectioned hiked parts of the PCT and has done the JMT.  As I heard his stories about his love of the outdoors I could hear a reggae version of "Knocking on Heavens" door playing over the stereo.  The dude has cancer.  He wanted to hike the PCT when he retired but cancer got in the way.  That's some heavy stuff.

Well, I have many more things to say but I'm tired of typing.  Off on the trail tomorrow!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment