Thursday, April 21, 2016

Warming Up!

Next week I start my big adventure.  I'll be hitting the PCT!  Between now and then, I have a lot of preparation to take care of.  I've also had plenty of restless nights. 


Yesterday, I managed to summit Larch Mountain with close to my full pack weight. That's somewhere around forty pounds counting food, water, and gear. My base weight is around seventeen pounds.  I'll talk about the headache that is base weight, another time. 


This was my first time attempting Larch Mountain.  It's a short drive outside of Portland, OR.  The trailhead is at Multnomah Falls.  Round trip, it's around twelve miles with the summit at 4,000 or so feet.  The hike up is spectacular!


The trail is also a loop.  Since I didn't have a map, I just stuck with out and back.  Next time, I'll bring a map.


The weather was "almost perfect" for a day like today.  I was able to see all of the mountains in the region (St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, Hood, and Jefferson) despite it being a bit hazy.


I'm not sure if I'll be able to get another hike in by my start date.  But after today, I'm feeling much more confident then I was last month.  I guess the small amount of training I did in Japan paid off.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment