Sunday, September 25, 2016

Vancouver


I attempted to hitch with forty two and flash out of manning park on Saturday.  We had no luck.  I even held up a fifty but there weren't any takers.  My sign that I slaved over was worthless.  


The three of us took the bus instead.  It was late, an hour.  Unacceptable by any standards.  The driver also drove like he was on meth.  It was a hellish experience.


We arrived early, 6am.  Tim Hortons is a Canadian donut shop that also sells coffee.  No sweets for me.  I ordered a sausage muffin but got a wrap instead.  A small communication error in this multicultural city.  They use south Asians instead of Mexicans, weird.  

 
This was the first time to see Canadian geese in Canada.  Sometimes they looked fake. 


Vancouver occasionally smells like strong marijuana.  Easily the "dankest" city I've ever smelled.  It's not 'legal' here but no one seems to care.  


The harder drugs and their presence are seen somewhere between gas town and Chinatown.  These are the ones that ruin lives.  I've never seen so many junkies.  I thought Portland was bad...


Chinatown was the place to go.  At 11am, a foot massage place was supposed to open up.  Flash and I were ready for that moment.  Lies and misinformation online.  It didn't open until noon.  That was cutting it close for flash as his bus left a little after 1pm.


I still got the foot massage.  The sweat little Chinese ladies working there were interested in my adventure.  They also couldn't stop laughing at how sensitive my feet were.  The massage was good and like any addict, I went to another shop and got a shiatsu massage.  This time by a Japanese lady.  Her husband was hilarious.  I've never met such an outspoken Japanese guy who acts like a Chinese guy.


I felt like I was speaking Japanese way too much so I looked for a ramen shop.  I was disappointed with the ramen.  


I found a hostel then went for a walk around the city.  Last time I was here was when I was fifteen or so.  A lot has changed.


There is a steam powered clock in Gastown.  It billowed clouds right when I got there.  I wasn't expecting that. 


Canada is a lot like America in many ways but just about everything seems a little "off".  

Observations:
-7/11 doesn't sell beer
-ketchup flavored potato chips
-police sirens have a ton more sounds
-no Mexicans 


The night went on and I found my way back to a bed.  I'll leave for Seattle tomorrow morning.  Wish me luck!  I have to catch an early bus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment