Monday, September 26, 2016

Boarder security

I boarded the bus for Seattle today at 5:30 this morning.  By about 7 I was at the US/Canadian boarder.  I've been through immigration check points plenty of times before.  Usually I pray to have an officer that's a minority, female, or chubby white guy with a moustache.  Clean shaved white guys always seem to have a chip on their shoulder. I lucked out this morning with a nice Hispanic boarder agent.

"Good morning" I said.

"Good morning.  How are you doing?" Said the officer.  

I was tired so I said "I'm doing alright."  I think even when I'm ecstatic, I'm never truly honest when it comes to that question.  I hand him my passport, he flips it open and sees this:


He starts laughing and manages to spit out between giggles "what happened?"

Keep in mind, I now look like this:


"Oh, I've been been hiking the PCT for the past few months. living out in nature and all."

He's got a grin across his face and prods a little more about the PCT.  There are a few more questions about work.  I tell him I'm unemployed at the moment but taught English in Japan.  He switches to Japanese for a bit and then back to English.

"Got any pills or drugs on you?"

"No, sir!"  

"Alrighty, have a good one and welcome back!"


No comments:

Post a Comment